eHarmony has long been considered the place to go to find a true and lasting love online. The dating site has remained a leader in the online dating world. Unlike some other mainstream dating sites that update their features regularly in order to adapt to the latest dating trends, eHarmony has remained true to their roots, having first launched in 2000. The site may update their matching system based on the data built up over time, but the basic functions and features of the website have remained essentially the same outside of this. This should be taken as a positive though. It goes to show that the approach that eHarmony takes to creating romantic connections works. The backbone of the dating site is the unique 29 Dimensions of Compatibility matching system. This system is built upon years of research into a never-ending list of relationships built through the website.
Signing Up to eHarmony
One thing that eHarmony has become notorious for is the length of their sign-up process. The good news is that signing up is well worth the effort though. At first, the site will ask you to choose a gender preference and sexual orientation. You can choose man or woman seeking man or woman. From there, you enter your postcode and sign up using an email and password. After logging in, you’re hit with a questionnaire, which is what turns most people off of eHarmony.
The questionnaire confirms basic information, such as your current age and location, and then you go through a – admittedly visually pleasing – personality test where you rank yourself on a seven-point scale going from “not at all” to “very well” for words and statements describing you.
As you go through the questionnaire, there are progress bars that will show you how much you have left to go through, as well as positive statements that spur you on. The questionnaire is designed to gather information about your own beliefs about yourself, your needs and desires, your lifestyle, your skills, what you consider important in a relationship, your current state of mind, and your physical appearance. It also gathers more general information such as your occupation, income, and what you are hoping to find in your potential partner. There are some open-ended questions at the end that will prompt you to go into extra detail about certain things, such as your passions, lifestyle, and what you are grateful for. Lastly, you are also required to upload at least one profile picture to be shown on the site.
Once you complete this questionnaire – which can take up to 45 minutes depending on how much thought you put into each question - you are taken into the site and are presented with some matches instantly.
The good news is that the login procedure for eHarmony is nowhere near as complicated. All you have to do is put in your email address and password and you’re good to go. Being able to use your email address rather than a username means that you have one less thing to remember when logging in.
Key Features of eHarmony
- Compatibility Matching System features a thorough personality test to connect you with people that are most compatible with you.
- Completely personalised dashboard creates a tailor-made user experience.
- Incredibly designed profiles highlight personality traits and what makes you “you” rather than basic features such as appearance.
- Users are presented with a new batch of handpicked matches each day.
- Users have the option of telling the site who they want to be matched with through the “What If?” feature.
- Guided communication options allow you to get to know someone in better detail before messaging them one-to-one.
Pros and Cons
- 29 Dimensions of Compatibility matching system powered by over 115 years of data.
- Completely customized user experience, from dashboard insights to the members that users see.
- Unique guided communication option allows users to learn more about one another safely.
- No video options.
- A limited number of matches and a lack of searching means it may take longer to find a match.
- Relatively more expensive than some other mainstream dating sites.
Subscription Prices 2018
|Duration||Price per Month||Saving*|
Safety and Security
eHarmony has received the TRUSTe Privacy Seal, meaning that it complies with all of TRUSTe’s privacy policies. This dating site uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) technology during any and all credit card transactions. They safeguard data with administrative access requirements, and have several other security measures in place to protect members and their information. On top of this, the site makes use of RelvID to verify the identities of their members.
1. I really enjoyed eHarmony because it was easy to use, and I felt that the men that were available were a much nicer selection than on some other websites. The information that they gave me about the men was good and relevant info. The questions asked were relevant, it just seemed like everything was more professionally done. There was a lull where I was not getting any new profiles, but I told myself I just had to be patient. Within my 3 month subscription, I found my guy that I plan to spend the rest of my life with, and we are already engaged! I would recommend this dating site to everyone!
2. Incredible, within 3 days talked to 3 great looking guys, I get between 5-10 smile a day. People who are complaining please review your profiles, 80% of you have ugly/unclear/gross profile pictures and your profiles are incomplete. If you want to meet someone put some effort into it!!
All-in-all, eHarmony is one of the best dating sites around. They are one of the oldest, and there’s a good reason for that. eHarmony just works. Their matching system has been built on over a decade of information to connect users to the people who match them best. There are some drawbacks to eHarmony, but it’s still a solid choice for dating site services.